The Taylorstown General Store timeline:
- Compher and Hickman open the original store in the late 1700's.
- Hickman and Slater build a larger new store in the mid 1800's.
- Slater rebuilds a larger concrete store after a fire in the early 1900's.
- Slater sells half to R.I. Mann for $1200 in 1938.
- Store transfers to R.I. Mann General Merchandise in 1950.
- The store is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
- Mrs. Mann dies and the store closes in 1977.
- Store reopens as Taylorstown General Store in 1979.
- Taylorstown General Store closes in May 1999.
- The Store is bought by Taylorstown Community Store, Inc. on February 5, 2003, but is not operated as a store.
- Store is bought by Tedd and Dana Durden in 2009.
The Taylorstown General Store is presently owned by Tedd and Dana Durden. They live locally in Taylorstown and are looking forward to opening the store for the community.
To learn more about the store's history, visit the its page on Wikipedia.
Do you have stories to share about the store? If so Contact Us.